Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Snacks



Last nights dinner was a successful. I'm still figuring out how to use this and will post the photos later. Still trying to recover from my lifting on Monday and I still have to lift today (front squat and press my two least favorite lifts!) So we will see how much pain I am by Thursday. I was searching the blogs that I look at daily and came across this video, which I love: http://cassandraforsythe.blogspot.com/2010/01/video-to-make-you-laugh.html
It is funny and sad to me that this is the reality that young girls have to deal with. At the gym that I work at on the Plateau, daily hear ridiculous but laughable comments.
Today was one my day to sleep in and boy did I! Right now I'm munching on some homemade
jerky that we made in the food dehydrator but here is a link to do it in your oven ( which works just as well!)

Dried Meats (Jerky)

Simple Beef Jerky

2 pounds lean beef, trimmed of all visible fat, cut into 1 inch wide, 1/8 inch thick

Place beef strips on the racks of a home food dryer (available at any large discount store) and dry the meat until it is tough and chewy (usually overnight). Or dry in your oven on un-greased cookie sheets. Set oven at lowest baking temperature and keep the door propped open. The temperature should not exceed 140-150 F. The drying time is dependent upon your oven and may take from 4-12 hours. Take out when meat is tough and chewy


Or the Spicy Version!

Spicy Beef Jerky

2 pounds lean beef, trimmed of all visible fat, cut into 1 inch wide, 1/8 inch thick (Almost any meat can be dried -- try lean pork, venison, buffalo, even poultry and fish)

Chili powder

Cumin

Garlic powder

Onion powder

Dry Mustard

Cayenne pepper

Lemon pepper

Turmeric

Coarse ground black pepper

Curry powder

White pepper

Mix any and all combinations of the spices listed above in a medium sized bowl to make a dry rub. Let your personal tastes and imagination guide you. Our favorite is cumin, garlic powder, coarse ground black pepper, turmeric and cayenne pepper mixed in equal parts. Dip each meat strip in the bowl of spices. Lightly coat and then marinate for at least 30 minutes – its better if you have time to marinate the meat overnight in a covered bowl in the refrigerator.

We make a ton of it in our house and on more than one occasion having this handy has helped me not cheat on other things available. At the top I placed a photo of one kids afternoon snack and boy does it look good! The sauce is some mayonnaise with curry powder. Quick and easy. For lunch today I'm doing a roasted chicken salad packed with veggies and homemade dressing ( mustard, EVOO, salt,pepper, a splash of Mrs. Dash-optional- and some balsamic or red wine vinegar, shake it all together) Not sure what's for dinner though headed back up to my parents house!

No comments:

Post a Comment